Friday 10 September 2010

Two weeks in

Friday 10 September: Second week down. Today in an extension of my role I was a member of an interview panel for the appointment of a Community Loans Officer. It was interesting contrasting the approach to recruitment here and in the UK. The general approach to the interviews was broadly similar to that we follow in the office – but carried out in a much more informal way. It was also very interesting, and illuminating, talking to people about their reasons for seeking a new job because it shed a whole new light on the social and employment situation here.

Lunch was, as most days, nshima but this time with fried fish. I gather that the fish had been supplied by one of PPHP’s small businesses and Mike had fried them whole and served them with an onion and tomato sauce. They were very good and it is not as hard as you might think to eat fish with sauce in your fingers. They said the fish was bream – but I wonder if it was actually chambo which my book describes as a popular bream-like variety which is freely available in Zambia.

I thought it was time for a few more photos of my apartment - one of the garden and two of the inside:



No comments:

Post a Comment