Tuesday 31 August 2010

A Close Encounter

Tuesday 31 August: a relatively quiet but full, day in the office – reading and studying PPHPZ’s loan scheme and Strategic Plan. Sausage and beans today with the nshima for lunch. I am getting slightly better at handling the nshima but still have some way to go. (I wonder whether my colleagues are as good as me at spaghetti? - probably - there are restaurants from all parts of the world in Lusaka.) One of the young people in the office asked my views on whether male circumcision should be compulsory because he was preparing for a 'youth' debate on this on the weekend. This must be a topical issue here because there was what looked like a 'health education' programme about in on television.

Nasty moment in the loo at work today when I turned and saw an enormous cockroach walking along the edge of the bath. It might not really have been enormous because I have no idea how big one should (?) be. Fortunately the danger passed as it slid into the bath and lay on its back wiggling its legs helplessly as it failed to right itself. I then took pity on it and gave it a nudge with an empty toilet role tube so it could stand up. And then ran.

3 comments:

  1. Do the cockroaches fly out there? They did in Gran Canaria. That just elevates their level of disgustingness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - I did not stop to ask. I guess he could not fly (or take-off) upside down but you have given me something else to worry about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without wanting to split hairs, do they fly? I thought that they jumped and glided using the wings rather than fly?

    ReplyDelete